Lumel Studios Yukon Experience/Adventure Award
Yukon Studio/Adventure Experience:
Basic accommodation provided to students free of charge (equivalent to $400)
- Small basic ‘cabin’ (an enclosed shelter with a double bed) with access to a kitchen in the Johnson home on the same property
- Located 6km from downtown Whitehorse and the Lumel Studio
- Transportation - your own vehicle, City bus or bicycles (provided by the studio)
Work experience at Lumel Studios
4 Days of the week comprising of:
- 10 hrs. of bench time/wk. in the hot glass studio (equivalent to $2,000) This is a chance to use your Yukon experience to create personal work.
- Hands on technical and business experience (work with in-house staff to produce items for the gallery, work with the public during workshops, acquire a knowledge of equipment maintenance, and begin to understand necessary management and business practices in relation to running a studio)
- Community work: 3 hrs/wk. for social community building - Assisting with studio/community projects, such as, street people outreach and support, vulnerable teens’ workshop programing, etc.
Adventure opportunities 3 days of each week consisting of:
- Adventure time - explore what the Yukon has to offer!
- 1 of the 3 day blocks will be an opportunity to work with other artist or community groups, for example, Sundog Carving Studio, Yukon quilters, environmental groups, teen agencies, jamming with a band…etc. (a comprehensive list of possibilities will be provided)
- Highly recommended – a 3 day stay at the Lumel Studios’ cabin at Little Fox Lake
- Head to the tundra, hike up a mountain, canoe down the Yukon River..
Studio Work: must be Yukon themed/related
- Students have an opportunity to sell their work through the gallery
- Gallery only takes 30% of sale price
- The items must meet Lumel quality controls and standards
- If a student’s glass work is well received by the gallery, the student will have the opportunity to sell the rights of their pattern to Lumel Studios
- One student per month (June & July)
- Of the two students selected only one can be a MFA student
- Transportation to and from Yukon is NOT included
- Students must provide their own meals
- Students will also have the choice of staying at the Lumel home, an individual room in a bee hive communal setting with fellow sojourners
- Student must confirm Health, Dental, Travel Insurance Coverage for the duration of the residency by contacting ACADSA provider ihaveaplan.ca