International student support

We can help you find the resources you need for immigration, work permits, and general academic support.


We are glad that you’ve chosen to study with us at Alberta University of the Arts. We look forward to your arrival and we are confident that you will enjoy your stay in Calgary and your time at AUArts – meeting new friends and immersing yourself in the practice and culture of art and design, going away to university is exciting, but we know that you may also feel a little anxious about leaving your family, friends and the comfort of familiar surroundings and practices. We have developed this international students’ guide, and additional resources to help you prepare for your arrival in Calgary and to introduce you to our city and our university.

Resources for international students


Centre is open Monday to Friday from
8:00 am to 4:00 pm. Program inquiries can be directed to: or at


Can I pursue a BFA, BDes or MFA program on a study permit?

Yes. These programs are Designated and eligible to receive foreign nationals on study permit.

How do I get a Study Permit?

You must meet certain requirements to receive a Study Permit. You must present a letter of acceptance from the educational institution where you intend to study and demonstrate that you are able to: pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue; and financially support yourself and any family members (if applicable) who are with you during your time of study. You should budget about $10,000+ CAD for living expenses in addition to the cost of tuition and books; and cover the cost of transportation for yourself and/or any family members (if applicable) to and from Canada. You must also provide proof of financial support while studying in Canada including: a letter from a bank confirming funds available in your account (NOTE: the letter must indicate your name and account number); or a copy of the letter giving the details about your scholarship or Canadian-funded educational program; or a letter from the person (specify their relationship to you) who provides financial assistance, explaining the arrangements made for your expenses.

The CIC officer must also be satisfied that, for whatever reason, you are not inadmissible to Canada and that you will leave Canada at the end of the period for which you have been approved to stay.

May I work during my stay in Canada?

Yes. As of June 1, 2014, your Study Permit will also allow you to work on or off-campus. The work permit is valid for the duration of your Study Permit. In order to be eligible for the program, you must have a valid Study Permit, and you must be a full-time student at AUArts.

Do I have to register with AHCIP (Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan)?

Yes, all residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependents with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.

For a more answers and information see the International Students' Guide.