Student academic advising
Get help choosing the right program, find educational resources, and develop a plan to achieve your academic goals.
AUArts's Student Academic Advisors Laurel Smith + Hannah Temple are here to assist you with the following:
- Clarify your academic goals
- Help you define student success
- Understand the value of earning your accredited Bachelor degree credential
- Navigate the Academic Calendar program requirements
- Review your rights and expectations of conduct policies and procedures
- Select a program of study major and/or minor
- Consider the best course choices for your program
- Evaluate the benefits and consequences of adding or dropping a course
- Learn about student exchange and travel study programs
- Check into options to enroll in independent off campus study
- Get referrals to resources such as tutoring and personal counselling
- Plot your immediate and long-term academic plans
- Calculate your unofficial GPA and learn why it is an important tool in tracking your academic success
- Learn what is involved in submitting an official grade appeal.
How to access student academic advising
Sign your name on the daily sign-up sheets that are posted outside the advisors' offices each morning and return for your appointed time.
Drop-In Advising: Monday - Friday from 1 until 3 p.m.
NOTE: Drop-in advising sessions are 30 minutes on a first-come, first-served basis. Please sign up on the daily sign up sheet located outside the Advising Office (in the Registrar's Office area). If follow up meetings are required, you and the Advisor will work together to schedule suitable meeting times.
Peak Period Drop-In Advising: Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.
We offer more daily drop in advising appointments during peak business periods throughout the first two weeks of the fall and winter semesters. Sign the daily drop in sign up sheet outside one of the advising offices and return for your appointed time.
Advanced Booking Advising Appointments
You can contact a Student Academic Advisor at email@example.com or call the Registrar's Office to book an appointment outside of drop-in advising hours. Please call 403-284-7634.(Due to privacy protection, and the nature of advisory discussions that lead to deeper questions, advising consultations are not provided over email or telephone.)
What to bring to your advisory appointment
Come to your appointment prepared with your updated Program Planning Guide and question(s) so we can jump right into meaningful discussion about your academic experience and expectations for success.
Important links for academic success
- Academic Calendar All current AUArts students are expected to be knowledgeable about the academic regulations, policies, and information outlined in the Academic Calendar.
- Research Ethics Board All current AUArts students who wish to involve the participation of humans, dead or live animals, biological materials will first need to discuss their goals with their instructor. All AUArts faculty have been trained in Research Ethics and will determine whether the concepts and materials of the student's project meet the instructor's academic learning outcomes. The student will then be required to submit a proposal for Research Ethics approval. Please note that the Research Ethics Board meets once a month and will work with students if revisions are required. All proposals submitted have been successful.
- Policies and Procedures All current AUArts students, faculty, and staff are required to abide AUArts policies and procedures regarding conduct and intellectual propriety. Ignorance of the policies and procedures is not a viable excuse. Learn more about academic and non-academic codes of conduct, academic and artistic freedom, grade appeals, freedom of information and protection of privacy act, respectful workplace, health and safety regulations, and more.
- Grade Appeals procedure and applications. Please see the "Forms" page located on the righthand menu bar.