Student academic advising
Get help choosing the right program, find educational resources, and develop a plan to achieve your academic goals.
AUArts' Student Advisors Laurel Smith + Hannah Temple are here to assist you with the following:
- Clarify your academic goals
- Help you define student success
- Understand the value of earning your accredited Bachelor degree credential
- Navigate the Academic Calendar program requirements
- Review your rights and expectations of conduct policies and procedures
- Select a program of study major and/or minor
- Consider the best course choices for your program
- Evaluate the benefits and consequences of adding or dropping a course
- Learn about student exchange and travel study programs
- Check into options to enroll in independent off campus study
- Get referrals to resources such as tutoring and personal counselling
- Plot your immediate and long-term academic plans
- Calculate your unofficial GPA and learn why it is an important tool in tracking your academic success
- Learn what is involved in submitting an official grade appeal.
How to access student advising
Until further notice AUArts is suspending in person contact.
Advising through email and TEAMS video conferencing is available from 8am to 4pm, Monday through Friday
Please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Please video call: upload the Microsoft Teams app through myapps for free on your device and then request a meeting with an advisor.
We are also checking voice messages 403-338-5598 and 403-338-5543 weekday mornings and afternoons. Please leave your email contact address.
What to bring to your advisory appointment
Advising sessions are generally 30 minutes. We are excited to connect with you multiple times too! If you can come to your appointment prepared with your question(s) we can jump right into meaningful discussion about your academic experience and expectations for success. Or just be open and see where our conversation leads !
Important links for academic success
- Academic Calendar All current AUArts students are expected to be knowledgeable about the academic regulations, policies, and information outlined in the Academic Calendar.
- Research Ethics Board All current AUArts students who wish to involve the participation of humans, dead or live animals, biological materials will first need to discuss their goals with their instructor. All AUArts faculty have been trained in Research Ethics and will determine whether the concepts and materials of the student's project meet the instructor's academic learning outcomes. The student will then be required to submit a proposal for Research Ethics approval. Please note that the Research Ethics Board meets once a month and will work with students if revisions are required. All proposals submitted have been successful.
- Policies and Procedures All current AUArts students, faculty, and staff are required to abide AUArts policies and procedures regarding conduct and intellectual propriety. Ignorance of the policies and procedures is not a viable excuse. Learn more about academic and non-academic codes of conduct, academic and artistic freedom, grade appeals, freedom of information and protection of privacy act, respectful workplace, health and safety regulations, and more.
- Grade Appeals procedure and applications. Please see the "Forms" page located on the righthand menu bar.