Academic Support Services
The accessibility of academic supportive services and academic accommodations at AUArts can be divided into two parts:
1. Academic support services are available to all students regardless of their medical/disability or any other special circumstances or status, free of charge and based on self-identified academic needs.
Academic support services include:
Academic advising – course & program selection advising, academic/degree audits, transfer credit evaluation, major/minor degree path selection, adjustments to course-load consultation, off-campus travel study
Psychological counselling – academic difficulties /personal/ family/relationship issues & questions, stress, exam anxiety, time management issues, and many other issues, as they may arise
Learning assistance – drop-in tutoring focused on course content, exam review and preparation, studio and liberal studies course content review, interpretation and tutoring, course-load consultation and advising, crits review and preparation, essay writing, MLA citation instruction/teaching, bibliography, research & study skills issues, time management assistance, academic strategy and on-going academic couching; writing centre advising focused on creative writing assistance, written submissions editing, artist statements, etc.
Academic Support Services are made easier by:
- Absence of deadlines – there are no deadlines /cut-off dates, during the academic year for making contact with the service providers, to participate/engage in the supports;
- No cost – everyone is welcome;
- Universal access – there is no need to make a disclosure/registration/ declaration of disability – the academic supportive services are available to all, without restrictions, program bias or pre-determined conditions
2. Reasonable/appropriate academic accommodations, for which medical /disability supportive documentation is necessary (documentation, which provides expert academic recommendations):
- Exam accommodations – extended time, distraction-eliminated/decreased environment
- Adjustment to class attendance expectations
- Extended time for course assignments
- Other reasonable academic policy adjustments, as recommended by the medical/disability supportive documentation
For more information, or to consult with an Advisor, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.