Accessibility at AUArts
The accessibility of academic supportive services and academic accommodations, at AUArts can be viewed through the following two parallel systems.
1. Accessibility of universal supportive services and academic accommodations, available to all students, regardless of their medical/disability or any other special circumstances or status, free of charge and based on the self-identified needs – no need for supportive documentation/registration or identifying as a student with disabilities/ medical needs, etc. – to participate and engage in/with:
- Academic advising – course & program selection advising , academic/degree audits, transfer credit evaluation, major/minor degree path selection, adjustments to course-load consultation, off-campus travel study
- Psychological counselling – academic difficulties /personal/ family/relationship issues & questions, stress, exam anxiety, time management issues, and many other issues, as they may arise
- Learning assistance – drop-in tutoring focused on course content, exam review and preparation, studio and liberal studies course content review, interpretation and tutoring, course-load consultation and advising, crits review and preparation, essay writing, MLA citations instruction/teaching, bibliography, research & study skills issues, time management assistance, academic strategy and on-going academic couching; writing centre advising focused on creative writing assistance, written submissions editing, artist statements, etc.
2. Reasonable/appropriate academic accommodations, for which medical /disability supportive documentation is necessary – the documentation, which provides an expert academic recommendations:
- Exam accommodations – extended time, distraction-eliminated/decreased environment
- Adjustment to class attendance expectations
- Extended time for course assignments
- Other reasonable academic policy adjustments, as recommended by the medical/disability supportive documentation
The accessibility of the services and academic accommodations at AUArts is made easier by: - lack of deadlines – there are no deadlines /cut-off dates, during the academic year for making contact with the service providers, to participate/engage in the supports:
- No cost – services are free of charge
- Universal access - no need to make a disclosure/registration/ declaration of disability – the supportive services are available to all, without restrictions, program bias or pre-determined conditions
Please consider the above information while determining your academic needs and requests for academic assistance.