Student taxes

Learn how to access your student tax forms.

Tuition and Education Amount Certificates (T2202A) are available through webService after February 28 for the previous tax year.

Forms are not mailed to students, so to access your T2202A you'll need to follow these steps:

  1. Log into webService
  2. Select Student Services
  3. Select Canadian Tax Forms
  4. Click on T2202A Tax Credit Form
  5. Select Tax Year and format (HTML or PDF) click Submit (you can access your tax records dating back to 2004)

NOTE:  Once you click submit and print the first time, all subsequent forms you print will be marked "Duplicate." This is still acceptable for Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) purposes.

The receipt will print on two pages:

Page 1 - Tuition and Education Amount Certificate

Page 2 - Designation for the transfer of an amount to spouse or common-law partner, parent or grandparent

You’re not required to attach a paper copy of your T2202A to your tax return. However, when transferring amounts to someone else (as permitted by CRA), or if you’re being audited by CRA, this printed form meets all CRA requirements. T2202As will be available on webService for at least seven years.


Who is eligible to receive a T2202A?

To be eligible for a T2202A, your tuition and student fees must exceed $100 in the tax year. The program of study must last at least three consecutive weeks and have a minimum of 12 hours instruction per month.

How are tuition amounts calculated?

To be eligible for a tuition tax credit, the sum of your eligible fees paid in the tax year must exceed $100. Not all fees paid are eligible for the tax credit.

Eligible fees include:

  • application fees (admission and graduation)
  • tuition
  • supplementary studio fees
  • processing fee
  • student network fee
  • SAIT Campus Centre fee
  • transfer credit fee

Ineligible fees include:

  • students' association fees (including health and dental plan fees)
  • locker fees
  • fines and late payment penalties
  • tutoring and peer support fees

How are full-time months calculated?

Full-time months are assigned for a program of study that lasts at least three consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 10 hours of instruction each week.

How are part-time months calculated?

Part-time months are assigned for a program of study that lasts at least three consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 12 hours of instruction each month. When a program or course starts or ends part way through a month, that month may not qualify as a part time month if the minimum of 12 hours is not satisfied.

How do I obtain my user ID and PIN for webService?

Degree program students should contact the AUArts Helpdesk at 403.338.5555.

Continuing Education students using webService for the first time should contact the Continuing Education Office at 403.284.7640.

I am an Artstream Student.  When I file my income tax return do I submit one T2202A from AUArts and another T2202A from Bow Valley College?

No, as of the 2016 tax year Artstream students no longer have to submit a T2202A form from both institutions.  AUArts will issue a T2202A form which includes the months of full time/part time study and all of the applicable tuition and fees paid to both institutions for the Artstream program.  Bow Valley College will not issue a T2202A form unless you took additional courses outside of the Artstream program and paid the tuition and fees for the additional courses directly to Bow Valley College.

I am a grant-funded Artstream Student. Why doesn't my T2202A indicate any eligible tuition?

Tuition fees paid by a federal, provincial or territorial job training program are not considered eligible under CRA regulations.

I understand that I can claim my UPASS fees as a deduction. Is this amount included in my T2202A as an eligible tuition tax credit?

In 2006 the Government of Canada introduced a non-refundable tax credit to help cover the cost of public transit passes. The AUArts SA UPASS fee is eligible for the transit pass tax credit but is separate from the tuition amounts included on your T2202A Certificate. Please refer to the Students and Income Tax Guide on how to claim your UPASS fees.

You can identify your UPASS fees by reviewing your account summary on AUArts webService. While you do not need to submit a printed fee assessment with your tax return, you should keep a printout of your Fee Assessment which shows your name, student number and the UPASS assessment in case you are required to verify it for the CRA.