Portfolio requirements and statement of intent
Your portfolio has two major components, a statement of intent and samples of your work. Both are an important part of your application to AUArts, and a key way for the review committee to get to know more about you.
1. Statement of intent
This is where you tell us all about you – your background, inspiration, and goals. Your statement of intent should be approximately 500 words in length and explain the following:
- Why do you want to study at AUArts?
- Why do you want to study visual art and design?
- What mediums or artists inspire you?
- How will you benefit from studies in art and design?
2. Samples of your work
Here’s where you get to really show us your stuff! Choose 12 examples that best represent your abilities, your personality, and be sure to follow these guidelines.
- Include representational drawing examples, including one or two observational figure drawings, landscape or still life.
- Include artwork created in a variety of mediums that explore different tools, techniques, and ideas.
- Demonstrate how you express ideas and concepts, preferably in work you’ve done on your own initiative outside of the classroom (for example, how do you respond creatively to current events, issues, or themes of personal interest?).