How to apply if you're an international student

Whichever program you choose to pursue, there are many benefits to being an international student at AUArts, including a relatively simple application process.

Applications for Fall 2020 will open on October 1, 2019

How to apply to AUArts in three easy steps:

Step 1: Application

Step 2: Portfolio

Step 3: Transcripts

Application form, non-refundable $110 fee, and in-progress transcripts and English language proficiency documents (if required) due

Priority Application deadline: February 1

General Aplication deadline: July 1 (while seats are available)

Priority Application Portfolio due: February 1

Official transcripts and English language proficiency documents (if required) due: August 1

Step 1: Application form, fee and supporting documents.

If you’re an international student, submit your application form and pay your non-refundable $110 application fee via the Apply Alberta Post-Secondary Application System 

You’ll need to send your in-progress transcripts to AUArts for evaluation. All documents must be in English. If you need to have your transcripts translated, they will also need to be notarized before you can submit them.

Are you transferring from another post-secondary institution?

Step 2: Portfolio submission

Because the faculty committee reviewing applicants won’t have an opportunity to meet you during the admissions process, your portfolio serves as your personal introduction to them.

Ensure yours is the best it can be by reviewing our portfolio requirements, following the instructions on how to photograph your portfolio, and learning how to submit your portfolio.

Priority Portfolio Deadline: February 1 General Portfolio Deadline: First-come first-serve basis while seats are available

Step 3: Official transcripts and English proficiency documents

All final transcripts must be forwarded directly from your educational institution to our admissions office by August 1. All transcripts issued in a language other than English must be accompanied by notarized English translations.

If you attended a high school where the primary language spoken was not English, you’ll need to also demonstrate that you meet English requirements for Bachelors degree programs.

Deadline for official transcripts and English proficiency documents: August 1


What are the academic requirements for international students who want to enroll in AUArts’s Bachelors degree programs?

To attend a Bachelors degree program at AUArts, you must have the equivalent of an Alberta high school diploma, with a minimum average grade of 60% (or equivalent) in your final year of studies.

If you attended high school in a language other than English you’ll also need to meet our English language proficiency requirements for undergraduate students.

How do I provide official transcripts?

Contact your appropriate educational agency to request your transcripts be sent to AUArts before February 1. If you’re still attending high school, you’ll need to send us in-progress transcripts. Please remember, all official transcripts must be translated and notarized if not in English.

How can I receive transfer credit?

International transfer applicants seeking credit from international post-secondary institutions must have applied to the university before their transcripts are assessed. Transcripts must be accompanied by course descriptions before transfer credit can be assessed or granted.  

Does AUArts accept U.S. student loans?

Yes! AUArts accepts student loans from the Title IV Federal Student Aid Program. To register, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) student loan application, using AUArts’s institution code: G32983.

Will I receive health and dental benefits?

Yes. International students at AUArts are eligible for government health care, medical prescription coverage and dental benefits. Learn more about your student health and dental benefits.

Can I work while studying at AUArts?

Yes. Full-time students who have valid study permits are eligible to work up to 20 hours per week during regular classes, and full-time during spring, winter, and summer breaks. Find out more about working as an international student while at AUArts.

After graduation, can I stay in Canada?

Yes. You can apply for a post-graduation work permit to stay and work in Canada, and if you want to immigrate to Canada after graduation, the process is simplified.

What is the legal age to be an adult in Alberta?

18 is the legal age of majority in Alberta. This means international students may travel to and live in Alberta without a parent or guardian. The legal age of majority varies throughout Canada by province and territory.